Saturday, April 27, 2013

Roses and Worms

All of my rose bushes are in bloom. Here are just some of my favorites.


I like to feed my roses each spring with the dirt from my compost bin that is mainly made from vegetable and fruit food scraps. That bin is loaded with earthworms.


The earthworms love eating those food scraps. There must be thousands of worms munching away turning all the food scraps into healthy dirt just in that bin.


I have two compost bins, one for the food scraps and another for the yard cuttings and other yard waste. The one for the yard cuttings has less worms decomposing the waste right now. Once I start adding the fruit trees waste to that bin, the worms multiple quickly and the cuttings and fruit start to decompose more quickly.  Both bins provide me with excellent healthy soil for my plants. Worms are excellent creatures to have as a silent garden worker.




4 comments:

  1. I love your info on growing roses. I don't know squat about roses but I have many customers that want advice. So I always tell them what you do and that you have the most beautiful roses around. LOVE LOVE LOVE the yellow one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell them not to water the leaves unless they know that the sun will quickly dry the leaves. Only water at the base by the dirt and feed them with worm dirt or worm tea, diluted worm pee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does one collect worm pee? That's like the deer repellent we sell that says one of the ingredients is coyote urine. I wonder?!!!!!!!!!! Seriously can I recommend fish emulsion? We sell that.

    ReplyDelete