Thursday, May 23, 2013

Love-in-a-Mist

Also known as Devil in the Bush or Persian Jewel.


Nigella damascena is a pretty blue flower that I had never seen before until I purchased my home. I inherited this drought tolerant gem! Blue flowers are rare to find, and this one is a jewel with it's ferny, fennel foliage, fluffy straw-flower, and distinctive, balloon shape seed pod. Nigella seeds, known also as Black Cumin, are easily scattered around by the winds for self-sow. Although I totally neglect this plant, each spring this delicate looking plant surprises me by returning in abundance. My side yard becomes a field of blue and green for a  month, then the pretty blue fades into a sea of green with the seed pods taking on the appearance of buoys until the summer heat withers the plant into the ground.

1 comment: